Artist: Elizabeth Murray (American, 1940-2007)
Dimensions: 118″ x 136″ x 7″
Location in Library: First floor
Media: Oil on canvas, wood painting
Owner: The Brooklyn College Library Collection. Purchased with Dormitory Authority of New York Art Acquisition Funds. © Elizabeth Murray
Elizabeth Murray is known for her large, distinctively shaped canvases that playfully blur the line between paintings as objects and paintings as depictions of objects. In Rescue she uses multiple canvases, allowing the viewer simultaneously to look down on, into, and beneath a gigantic upside-down cup. The cup sits precariously on a table whose legs extend from either side of the main canvas adding a sculptural touch. Bright colors and bold patterns give this work a sense of swirling movement and make this one of Murray’s most exhilarating paintings.
– Elizabeth Murray at PaceWildenstein
– Elizabeth Murray at PBS
– Elizabeth Murray at Artchive
– Storr, Robert. Elizabeth Murray, 2005.
Call Number: N6537 .M87 S76 2005
– Murray, Elizabeth. Elizabeth Murray: Paintings and Works on Paper, 2002.
Call Number: Reserve Loan – ND237 .M923 A4x 2002
– Murray, Elizabeth. Elizabeth Murray: Recent Paintings, 1997.
Call Number: Reserve Loan – ND237 .M293 A4 1997
– Murray, Elizabeth. Elizabeth Murray: Paintings and Drawings, 1987.
Call Number: N6537 .M87 A4 1987