Artist: Alexander Calder (American, 1898-1976)
Date: c. 1965
Dimensions: 25″ x 31″
Location in Library: Fourth floor
works on paper
Owner: The Brooklyn College Library Collection. © Calder Foundation, New York; Artists Rights Society (ARS), New York
Alexander Calder revolutionized sculpture by making movement one of its main components. His moving sculptures were called “mobiles”–a word coined in 1931 by the artist Marcel Duchamp. Later in his career he created giant open and transparent stationary constructions which were named “stabiles.” These works challenged the traditional notions of sculpture as a solid and static. Moreover, Calder’s inventive abstract forms and innovative use of nontraditional materials, were very influential in changing the art of sculpture. This lithograph is a study for one of Calder’s monumental stabiles. These sculptures have have become public landmarks in many cities around the world.
– Alexander Calder at Guggenheim Museum
– Alexander Calder at National Gallery of Art
– Prather, Maria. Alexander Calder, 1898-1976, 1998.
Call Number: Folio N6537 .C33 A4 1998
– Marchesseau, Daniel. The Intimate World of Alexander Calder, 1989.
Call Number: Folio N6537 .C33 M3613 1989